Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Heart Dubstep

I want to briefly revisit one of my best weeks ever, which happened recently. But hey, it was about the same as last week, which was about the same as this week!

I have been getting paid to play on the internet all week. Absolutely addicted to information now. Musical data coming out of my nose and ears. To top that part off, the skies have staid full of rain, so I don't need to feel bad about being so thoroughly immersed in the warm, brightly-lit office dimension. I am a true corporate wage slave and loving it.

But the best part was that I had a breakthrough with a new kind of music! Just when I think it will never happen again, it hits me like a ton of skunky bricks! It was our Chicago dubstep militia at Sonotheque; the experience was presaged by some serious bass at the last couple Burning Man shindigs.

Though a few certain individuals were buzzing around my lady friends like vultures, I guess it added to the frightful, psyched-out, root chakra vibe. Yes, it is official, somebody discovered the most subliminal, tripped out sound to ever reach Earth. I would go so far as to say that this is the most significant sound to come out of the underground since the invention of what is currently understood as "electronic music".

But if you want the dubstep sound, don't dally overlong on "mainstream" darlings like Burial's Untrue. That is the version for those people who, in the 90s, listened to Roni Size CDs in their apartments while the hardcore massive raved it up Renegade Hardware style. Instead, go to
barefiles.com and luxuriate in the sub bass glory!

Back to the present. I have been getting paid to play on the internet all week. Absolutely addicted to information now. Musical data coming out of my nose and ears. To top that part off, the skies have filled with rain clouds, so I don't need to feel bad about being so thoroughly immersed in the warm, brightly-lit office dimension. I am a true corporate wage slave and loving it.

EDIT: I recently realized that I was hasty with one of my judgments above. Burial is sweet like dream-spun ambrosia.

No comments: